Section 504 Review and Students with Medical Disabilities
Thanks to a special one-time grant from the Interagency Outreach Training Initiative (IOTI) in 2015-16, we were able to host this unique webinar on Section 504 Review and Students with Medical Disabilities. After viewing, please take the time to complete the brief evaluation that will appear at the conclusion of the webinar. The feedback that you provide will help us as we plan for and carry out future training. Please click the title below to view the webinar.
Presented by: Utah State Office of Education
Length: 26 Minutes
Children with disabilities who qualify for special education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) receive services under an IEP plan. However, some children with disabilities do not receive services under an IEP but are instead served under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504). This interactive webinar, presented by Jennifer Slade and Naté Dearden at the Utah State Office of Education, will describe similarities as well as differences between the IDEA and Section 504. For some children, providing the appropriate modifications and accommodations they need is the only way they will be successful in their school experiences. A thorough understanding of the provisions of these two laws and how they differ can help you and your child’s teachers plan the most appropriate education for your child.
Related information for Section 504:
- Utah State Office of Education’s A Parent Guide to Section 504 (2012)
- What is a Section 504 Plan and Does My Student Qualify for One?
- 100 Effective Accommodations
- Section 504 and Field Trips
- Section 504 vs. IDEA Chart
- Accommodations for Students Under Section 504
- Frequently Asked Questions: Special Education and Section 504 Services
- Tips on Preparing Your Child for College
- Section 504 and Food Allergies
- Resources for Food Allergies in the School
Additional Online Section 504 Training Webinars and Videos:
- Section 504: Services for Students in Public Schools Video Series
- Section 504 In Action
- IEP vs. Section 504 Plans: Which Is Right for My Child?
- Student Led Section 504 Plans
- Practical Ideas for Using Assistive Technology to Make Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- Executive Functioning
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.