Summer Reading Program Ideas
This list of resources provides links to incentives to keep reading a priority this summer. Kids can earn rewards from companies such as Barnes and Noble, Chuck E Cheese, Pizza Hut, and the Salt Lake Bees!
- Salt Lake County Library systems offers tons of activities to keep reading a priority during the summer. Activities and events are located throughout the valley. Examples of offered activities are things like book clubs, story times, educational presentations, Pokémon club, sensory activities and much more! This year they have a special Triathlon summer reading program where kids can earn rewards just for reading!
- Barnes & Noble Summer Triathlon – This program begins May 17th and runs through Sept 6th. Kids can earn a FREE book after completing 3 out of the 4 activities and logging them on the reading sheet. This is for grades K-6.
- Book Adventure– This is a free program offered by Sylvan Learning. Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to quiz on what they’ve read, and earn prizes for their reading success. Prizes include chocolate bars, temporary tattoos, Highlights magazine and more.
- Chuck E. Cheese– Earn 10 FREE tokens each time your child reads for 2 weeks in a row. Complete the form to claim the free tokens. A food purchase is required.
- Pizza Hut Book It!– This program has free reading summer reading resources for parents. You can download free printables, book activities, book lists and more. There may also be opportunities to read and earn Pizza Hut certificates!
- Public Libraries – Check your local library for more free reading programs with activities and incentives for kids of all ages. Most libraries also have story times and other reading themed activities.
- Scholastic Summer Challenge– Be a Reading Superhero- Children can log in their reading minutes and earn rewards. Students can participate individually or as part of their school. This program runs through September.
- SYNC is a program that gives away two FREE audiobook downloads every week each Summer for readers ages 13+. (each week features a current Young Adult title paired with a Classic or Required Summer Reading title). Titles are delivered through the OverDrive app which can be downloaded for free.
- Reading is Fundamental: Whether you’re a parent, educator, community leader, or young reader, we have everything you need to make reading fun and engaging. Check out our apps, activity calendars, booklists, and STEAM enrichment activities to foster learning in school and at home.
- PBS Kids Summer Reading Camp– PBS teaming up with Education.com to offer a Summer Reading Camp. They have everything you need to host 10 fun weeks of reading camp. There is a new theme each week with topics like bugs, heroes, music, animals and more!
- Read and Win at the Utah State Fair– Read 10 books and then fill out the form and get a free child ticket to the Utah State Fair in September, free drink, bookmark and free ride. Send in form by July 25th to get your ticket. Open to kids ages 6-12.
- Billion E-Book– Reading is Fundamental (RIF) has partnered with ustyme to give the gift of a billion free e-books to the communities we serve. All families across the nation can access 50 classic e-books absolutely free, without advertising or fees of any kind. Children can read e-books of their choosing independently, side-by-side with a caring adult or remotely in a live video call using the ustyme app. The app works for most devices, including Apple and Android devices, Chromebooks and any computer with internet access. Books including classics such as Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, The Three Little Pigs and more are digitally mastered in HD and available in English and Spanish.
- Create your own Book BINGO– Use this template to print a book BINGO card for your child. Reward them with some prizes or fun activities when they get a BINGO!
- Read Today Be A Champion Reader: The Governor’s Reading Program and the Read Today Summer Reading program are joining forces to create the summer’s best Reading program. Sign up to stay updated and get your Summer Reading Tracker emailed to you. Participating children will earn the opportunity to participate in a special Bees night
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.